Thursday, March 3, 2011

Tomato Free Salsa

I know, you hate me. But you know what?! I've been busy! Nonetheless I'm sorry for neglecting you of healthy yum yums. Here's something I've been saving to bring brightness to your chilly days. It's tomato free salsa that's to die for. I got the recipe from Lisa Ota ("Auntie Lisa" to me). She's an amazing woman, mother, aunt, and nutritionist at Sacred Bite (click to see her website). She believes strongly in the spiritual and bodily connection with food. She gave me this recipe and I knew I had to photograph it for you all to see. It's so easy, and SO good. Read on yum-seekers.

photo courtesy of Lisa Ota, Sacred Bite


Sacred Bite Tomato Free Salsa:
Courtesy of Lisa Ota, Sacred Bite

You'll Need:

totally didn't mean to put an onion in this image... oops!
1 can of organic whole black beans (drained)
1 can of organic pinto beans (drained)
1 C corn (white or yellow/fresh or frozen)
1 red bell pepper (chopped into small squares)
1 yellow bell pepper (chopped into small squares)
1 C edamame
1 ripe avocado (peeled and chopped in cubes)
4 limes
1 tsp red pepper
1 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper


If you're using frozen corn, prepare it according to the package. If you're using fresh corn, boil it and remove from the cob with a sharp knife. Next, prepare edamame (if you're using frozen). Wash and cut the bell peppers into small squares. Place them into a bowl along with the drained cans of beans. Next, add the edamame, corn, and avocado.



Roll the limes on the counter with a good amount of pressure to release some of the juices. Cut each in half and juice them into a bowl. My limes looked pretty pathetic after I used my dad's citrus juicer on them! Then, toss the lime juice, olive oil, red pepper, and salt and pepper into the bowl with all the other ingredients in it until nice and mixed up! I've found that this salsa is, of course, delicious freshly prepared, but also is VERY good after it's had a little time to mingle. Give it an hour or two in the refrigerator and chow down!

This salsa is really great served with any type of tortilla chip. I made it a while back and tried it with Trader Joes's Veggie and Flaxseed Tortilla Chips (Auntie Lisa's suggestion) and it was amazing!

1 comment:

Five to Nine Foodie said...

I LOOOOOVE THIS SALSA - making it this weekend