Sunday, March 6, 2011

boy[friend]food

[heart-shaped pretzel]

Boyfood. In my case, boyfriendfood. Well, if you've got a boyfriend like mine, then you know that some couples have very different eating habits. For me, I'm all about the healthy, low[ish] carb (only when I'm not too lazy to cut carbs...) foods. For him, bring on the pasta, garlic bread, pizza... the list goes on. So, imagine my disgruntlement as I set out to cook dinner for us both. What do I do? Not to worry healthy foodies. There is a way.
Normally I find myself making two different dishes by using a few common ingredients. Tonight was no exception. I made Brian a tortilla BBQ chicken pizza and a salad for myself. Before you go throwing a hissy-fit let me just say, the salad was quite good. I certainly don't feel like I miss out much while I sit and chew my salad as Brian chows down on pizza. After all, what kind of girlfriend would I be if I didn't steal a bite?

Brian's BBQ Chicken Pizza

You'll need:
(2 pizzas)

2 medium sized tortillas
about 4 oz of chicken breast
3 tsp steak seasoning
(I used Chico Spice Co. Garlic and Pepper)
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 red onion
1/2 C shredded mozzeralla
1/3 C shredded pepperjack
4 tbs BBQ sauce

Start by preheating the oven to 400ยบ. Line a large baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Place the raw chicken into a plastic zip top bag and add the steak seasoning to it. If you are a Chico local, I recommend using Chico Spice Co.'s Garlic and Pepper meat seasoning, I bought it from the Saturday farmers' market. If you don't have access to this, your favorite steak seasoning will be just fine. Seal and shake the bag until the chicken is covered. Put this bag into the refrigerator. Next, do the prep work. Chop the onion and pepper into small pieces and put the two tortillas flat onto the baking sheet. 

Pour a small amount of olive oil onto a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Let the oil heat up a little and then place the chicken on the pan. Brown on both sides until cooked through. Take it off the heat and set aside. While the chicken is cooling, spread 3 tbs of BBQ sauce onto the tortillas. Then, put the cheese on and the peppers/onions. 
The chicken should be cool enough not to cook your fingertips, so chop/tear the chicken into small bits (so it looks like "pulled chicken"). Place the chicken into a bowl, add the remaining 1 tbs of bbq sauce, and stir around until it is all coated. Split the chicken in half and put part of each pizza. Now it's ready for the oven! YAY!
Bake these for 15-20 minutes (just until the cheese turns golden brown) keep an eye on them though, don't want burnt pizza. So sad.

They should come out looking like this:



Cut with a pizza cutter or sharp knife and allow gleeful boyfriend to jump for joy and happy chow down.

As for me?

Bam.

Salad wham-ey! I reserved a piece of chicken for myself, chopped it up, and tossed it with baby spinach, spring mix lettuce, poppyseed dressing, and some peppers and onions that I also reserved from the pizza. NOM.

Problem solved. Two very different meals that share some key ingredients. Another Sunday night dinner conquered.

Foodie Foodie!!

No comments: