Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Dinner out: Farm Star Pizza

So here's something fairly new, restaurant review. Horrah! I realize that many of you readers are not Chico locals, but then again, some of you are. And I think those that are Chico locals deserve to hear about the yum foodie foodie I eat out as well as at home. So, Brian and I went out to dinner with some of my design-friends. We went to this lovely place named Farm Star Pizza.


It was delicious.
So, what's the deal with Farm Star Pizza? Last night was the first time that I'd been there, and I'd heard many good things about it. Here's what I know: Farm Star Pizza is owned by the same people who own The Red Tavern. As far as I know, they use seasonal locally produced ingredients. So, like The Red Tavern, the menu changes periodically. We are blessed here in Chico with wonderful farmers' markets, and I'm pretty sure that's where Farm Star Pizzas gets many of their ingredients. They use Massa Organics (take a look at my interview from Greg Massa) whole wheat flour to create their (amaaaazziiinng) crusts and other quality ingredients including Pt. Reyes Blue Cheese and Pacific Sun Olive Oil.

Enough about the ingredients. How are the eats?

Fan-freaking-tastic. I must say, living in a college town has the benefit of affordable food. Eating out, though more expensive than eating in, is considerably more affordable here in Chico than in the SF Bay Area (where I'm originally from). Farm Star Pizza was a teeny bit more expensive than I like to pay on a regular basis (I paid $10.25 or so for a salad and the 12-inch pizzas range from $10-$14) but the food is worth every penny. 

I got the "Go Away Winter!" salad: To be honest I can't really remember every ingredient in this salad.. Sorry... but it was very good! I cleaned my plate.

I'd already started muching before I remembered to take a pic!

Brian got "The Matrix" pizza: three cheeses, braised fennel, caramelized onions, and (*drool*) pancetta.


Needless to say, it was two thumbs up. The crust on the pizza was so good, I would have eaten it totally bare. The combination of toppings was innovative and scrumptious. Some of the other designers got other pizzas like "Good Pig" (mozzarella, broccollini, pork sausage, and chili flakes) and "Spudzola" (Carmelized onions, heirloom potatoes, Gorgonzola, and thyme). According to them, their food was also fan-freaking-tastic.

So, my final word on Farm Star Pizza: GO.



foodie foodie!

Other notes on Farm Star Pizza: it is located at 2359 Esplanade, Chico, CA. 
They have their own little parking lot, so do not fear, you'll have a place to park. 
Not only do they have a wonderful selection of delicious foodie food, but they also have an impressive selection of beer (I didn't get a chance to ask about wine, but they do serve it).

No comments: