Friday, November 12, 2010

Rosemary Honey Couscous

Hey everyone!
Last night I went to an AIGA potluck at the wonderful Hannah's house, and was asked to bring something to contribute to the yum-yum extravaganza.

Just a little background: AIGA @ CSU, Chico is a student Graphic Design club. AIGA, however, stands for the American Institute of Graphic Arts. It is a national organization for design professionals. Our fabulous snack coordinator, Tory, set the bar high for us in terms of deliciousness at the beginning of the semester, so we have each taken turns trying to outdo one another for our snacks at meetings. I, for example, put on a Cookie-palooza. Four different types of cookies. FOUR. Made from scratch. Don't mess with me...

Anyways, so all in all, we at AIGA CSU, Chico have a strong history of scrumptious snacks. This being said... our potluck was freaking bomb-diggity.

Here's what I brought:

Rosemary Honey Couscous
I love this recipe because it is fairly quick and seems to impress.
Once again, my iPhone and I are very sorry for the ghastly lighting in my kitchen

I made a giant amount since I was bringing it to a potluck, but for a normal amount you'll need:
1 C couscous (whole grain or regular will work)
1 C water
Salt/pepper
1/2 C honey
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
3 TBS rosemary (fresh)
1/4 C raisins
1/4 C dried cranberries

Follow the directions on the box for the couscous. Generally, it's an even amount of boiling water and couscous, take off the heat, and let it sit covered for about 5 minutes. Then you'll want to fluff it a bit with a fork so it doesn't get too clumped. When you've got it all mixed and have taken it off the heat, add one sprig of rosemary and salt and pepper it liberally. The rosemary sprig will be removed later, but its essential oils will seep into the couscous as it softens.






For the dressing, put the honey in a small saucepan and put it over low heat. Through experience I've found that keeping it on low and avoiding boil-age will yield a much better product. Add the vinegar and stir. Then, chop the remaining rosemary into ity-bitty pieces.  Salt and pepper liberally, and then add the rosemary. Mix it around and allow all the ingredients to mingle together.
Note: Keep in mind, in terms of the honey:vinegar ratio, I normally just guestimate to get a balanced flavor. I don't usually like it to taste TOO honey-ish or TOO vinegar-ey. So, if these amounts don't work for you, go ahead and add a splash of vinegar or just a bit more honey! Find what works for you.



Then, you'll add the raisins and cranberries into the awaiting couscous pot (do this at least 10 minutes before serving. The heat of the couscous will help plump up the dried berries) and then pour in the dressing.


Mix it all together (take out that whole rosemary sprig) and TA-DA!!!!! Killer delicious couscous. Deceivingly simple. Yum Foodie Foodie.
 Needless to say, the potluck was a joyous occasion. Food, fun, designers. What more do I need in life?! Oh.. besides, of course, Foodie Foodie :P Hope you enjoyed


Foodie Foodie!

1 comment:

Wigglyfish said...

Hmmm, I wish I could've gone to taste this amazingness! But I'm thinking this would be a great Thanksgiving dish, thank you for sharing it. :)