Sunday, November 7, 2010

Oh the weekend...

Hey there yum-seekers
Saturday morning farmers market

One of the wonderful things about living in Chico are the farmers markets. For roughly half of the year (during the warmer months) there is a farmers market every Thursday night. They close down some of the streets of downtown, and people come to buy and sell fresh fruits, hand-made crafts, yummy food, and so on. We also have a Saturday morning farmers market that is year-round (yay!) and happens to be a short walk from my apartment (double yay!)
Needless to say, I go almost every week so see what the local farmers have brought by.
Brian buys me flowers almost every time we go! I'm so spoiled :)

This week I brought home a bag of goodies that looked like this:

A few bell peppers, a couple of organic fuji apples, a recipe for lavender coffee cake with the lavender buds, and a bag of samosas (Indian pastries.)
So I decided that I should make something yummy that included at least one of the things I bought at the farmers market... so here it is:
A VERY simple but yummy breakfast recipe.


Simple Scramble
4-5 large eggs (depending on how many people you are feeding)
Splash of milk
One bell pepper (mine's from the farmers market)
1/2 onion (or 1 medium/small onion) I used a yellow onion but feel free to use whatever type you like
2-3 Tbs cream cheese
1 pad of butter for the pan
salt and pepper
A few little bunches of fresh basil (if you've got it)

Chop up the bell pepper (farmers market item!) and onion into small pieces. Put a nonstick pan on the stove over medium/high heat and melt the butter on it. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Then, add the bell peppers. Cook until just before fork-tender. Be sure to salt and pepper at this point.


Then, crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them with the milk. Pour the eggs on top of the onion/bell pepper party in the pan and scramble it up! Again, be sure to add salt and pepper at this point... don't want bland eggs! Blegh! Take the basil and either rip it into little pieces of chop them into fine strips.

Now, take some of the cream cheese and pinch into little pieces. Drop them into the pan when its just about finished and scramble it up a little more. "Cream cheese?" you ask? Yes. Cream cheese. Very yum foodie foodie, trust me.


Add some of the basil when just finishing up cooking the eggs. Ta-da!
Add a little basil for garnish.









And there you have it :)
Brian's portion w/ a little ryebread toast


mine :D
Like I said, VERY simple, but that's normally my goal when cooking: not to go too crazy. Who has time for extravagance?  I would love to make crazy complicated meals more often, buuuuut I'm in college. Who has the time? I hope you enjoyed this post :)

Foodie Foodie

No comments: