Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Ready-Made Review

Soooo, as I've said before, I'm a college student. And though I certainly could allow you to entertain the illusion that I cook a delicious foodie foodie meal every night of the week, that's simply not the case. Sadly, your Foodie Foodie goddess does not have time to cook a meal from scratch every single night... though I certainly would love to!

Which leads me to tonight's topic: ready-made food. (gasp!)
I know, I know. Boxed food?! Frozen food?! Bah! How dare you?!

Before you throw a hissy fit, allow me to say that NOT ALL READY-MADE FOOD IS BAD. In fact, it can often be a saving grace for a girl like me who literally has minutes to spare in between classes, meetings, work, and internships.

Tonight was like many in my crazy schedule: no time to prepare anything to eat! So, do I run to the nearest fast food joint? No way. I reach for my handy-dandy frozen food selection. Please understand, that I do not take frozen food lightly. I do not eat hot pockets or any form of ...pocket. Nor do I eat boxed pastas or rice like Mac and Cheese (not because I dislike it, but because I will soon be spherical if I do eat it) The ready-made foods I do purchase must be nutritionally sound and, most importantly, tasty.

So here's tonight's ready-made food review:
Trader Joe's Chicken Shu Mai 

Dim Sum. Dim Sum. Say it with me. Dim sum. In a nutshell, Chinese breakfast consisting of little dumplings, buns, and other items of the like. Ultimately delicious. So when I saw the frozen Chicken Shu Mai (a common item in Dim Sum) I literally freaked out in the frozen isle, lunged at the freezer, and proceeded to checkout. I was a bit apprehensive because it seems that the frozen version of a beloved food tends to be sad and disappointing. But I decided to give it a try anyway!

I simply followed the instructions and steamed the little yum-nuggets in a steamer/pot with boiling water for about 6 or 7 minutes. Put that with a little soy sauce and sesame seeds and TA-DA!
A little dinner in less that 10 minutes. Bravo Trader Joes, bravo.


steamin away

And the taste? Admittedly, not as good as the fresh, delicious little dumplings that they cart around to you at the DimSum restaurants, but still quite tasty for a frozen food.  My rating? 8 out of 10 Generally good texture, but the little things lose heat very quickly... so it's either inhale them, or eat the lukewarm. They can, however, be microwaved. Hello new lunch in the studio!





Foodie Foodie!

Please note, that Yum Foodie Foodie does not request or accept any form of compensation or payment for product reviews.

No comments: